If you plan on getting an Apple Watch, you may wonder, “Will it work with any carrier? We all know how our smartphones are locked to specific carriers.
If you purchase an Apple Watch brand new, it will not be locked to a carrier. You can only purchase a locked Apple Watch if you purchase it used. Many carriers support the Apple Watch, but if it is a cellular version, it is a regional device.
It does not even apply to GPS-only watches, so it is of no consequence on those models.
But there is a catch: Your Apple Watch and iPhone must be on the same network provider for them to be able to connect to an LTE network.
Apple Watches are capable of supporting up to five different cellular plans, so you can switch between them as needed. There is some flexibility in this regard.
There will be different monthly charges for adding the Apple Watch to your plan going forward. Monthly charges may range from $5 to $20 for the Apple Watch. Some Apple Watches require activation fees, while others do not.
If you wish to purchase the Apple Watch, you should do some research and find out your carrier’s rates.
Do Apple Watches have a carrier lock?
There is no carrier lock for Apple Watch models. The GPS-only Apple Watch models (which have a lower base price) are not even region-specific, whereas LTE-enabled Apple Watch models are.
To accomplish this, we recommend that your iPhone and Apple Watch are connected to the same service provider.
How does it work when the Apple Watch is locked on unlocked? What is the process of switching carriers? Is it possible to unlock an Apple Watch that has been purchased used? This article will answer your questions.
What is an unlocked Apple Watch carrier?
Apple Watches must be unlocked to function. Can they be unlocked? If we are referring to the Apple Watch as being unlocked, it means the Apple Watch is not bound to a specific carrier.
You do not need to add your Apple Watch to your Verizon plan if you have service with Verizon for your iPhone. It should only be added if you intend to use the device with 4G LTE connectivity.
What if my Apple Watch only has GPS?
You have nothing to worry about if your Apple Watch only connects to Wi-Fi and GPS. Wi-Fi connections are very simple to set up. Follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app on your Apple Watch.
- Open the Settings app and select Wi-Fi. Using this method, your device searches for Wi-Fi networks in the vicinity automatically.
- Select the network that you want to join and tap on it.
- If you are prompted, use the Apple Watch keyboard or Scribble to enter the password.
- Press the Join button.
GPS can also be used with ease. On your Apple Watch, open the Maps app. Select Location, then tap the destination landmark or map pin. Once directions are displayed, scroll down the location information.
You can choose to drive, walk, take public transit, or bike.
You can tap a route to get to your destination after picking your method of transportation.
How to remove a carrier from your Apple Watch and iPhone
Is it possible to remove your Apple Watch and iPhone from a carrier? iPhone users can remove their cell phone plans. The steps are as follows:
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
- Tap on My Watch and then Cellular, then select My Watch.
- You should see an information button. Select it.
- Besides the Manage Carrier Account option, there will also be the option to Remove Carrier Plan. The carrier plan should be removed by clicking the Remove Carrier button.
- It is necessary to contact your carrier if you wish to unpair as this will allow you to cancel your cell phone subscription.
Unpair and erase your Apple Watch
There are a few simple steps you can take to delete your iPhone from the Apple Watch and unpair it from it. Following are the steps for unpairing:
- The iPhone and Apple Watch should be placed close together so they can interact.
- Open your Watch app on the iPhone once you have these devices close together. Click on the All Watches option once you are on the My Watch screen.
- Select the Unpair option from the Info option when you’re ready to unpair your watch.
- You can also choose the Erase All option if you do not want to pair these devices ever again. This will remove your cellular plan.
- To complete the process, click Confirm, then enter your Apple ID and password to complete the process.
Since the Apple Watch is not carrier locked, you have the freedom to choose the carrier that you want to use – that is, if you have one of the more expensive LTE models.
If you do not, then simply using Wi-Fi and GPS will suffice and you will not have to spend an extra few dollars per month to add the watch to your monthly plan.
Your phone and cellular service provider are likely to be compatible with Family Setup, so you can set up an Apple Watch for your child using your iPhone.
The fact that the Apple Watch is not carrier locked makes it that much more user-friendly. This is only one of many benefits of purchasing an Apple Watch.