Rowing is an extreme sport and if you’re a serious rower, you must be well acquainted with the painful blisters and calluses that form on your hands during tough rowing sessions.
Rowing gloves are the best friend of the rowers as they add a protective layer between your valuable assets; hands, and the oars and reduce the friction on your palms, hence protecting them from potential harm and due to this, every rower is always in the search of the best rowing gloves for them.
When you enter the market to buy the best rowing gloves, you will find a huge number of options to select from and different types of rowing gloves including indoor rowing gloves, outdoor rowing gloves or winter rowing gloves.
They may differ in their making and fabrication, but all you need is a pair of the best fit of rowing gloves to protect your hands from painful injuries so that it does not affect your performance and you continue to remain a valuable part of your team.
Which Important Features To Look For While Choosing The Best Rowing Gloves For You?
You must ensure the following important features in rowing gloves before buying them to assure you have made the right choice:
- The rowing gloves must be made of synthetic suede fabric or other breathable fabric that helps by providing a better grip on the oar, whether it is wet or dry so that you don’t loosen your grip on the oar.
- Must be durable and lightweight.
- Preferably not cover more than 3/4th of your fingers.
- It may also contain a layer of foam or any other layer of padding/cushioning that soothes your hand during prolong rowing sessions, as well as keep your hands warm when the water is very cold.
- The size of the glove must be carefully selected by keeping in view the circumference of your hand across the broadest part of your palm, to find the best-fitted gloves for you.
**Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Top 6 Best Rowing Gloves-2020
We have compiled a list of top 6 highly rated and highly reviewed rowing gloves -for the year 2020 for you, especially when you’re a serious and passionate rower and want to remain a valuable asset to your rowing team:
1. Valeo Padded Ocelot Lifting Gloves
Valeo Padded Ocelot Lifting Gloves, Gym Gloves, Workout Gloves, Exercise Gloves for Powerlifting, Cross Training, Rowing for Men & Women, L (Fits 9 - 10 inches), Brown
These gloves are designed to be extremely comfortable as they are made of leather and have a terry-lined inside palm to manage moisture perfectly, which otherwise would lead to blister formation. It also comes with ERGO-foam padding to maximize durability, comfort, and a superior grip on the equipment.
They are ideal for multi-purposes, ranging from gym training sessions and powerlifting to cross-training and rowing.
They are designed such that it covers 3/4th length of the fingers so that air ventilation throughout the hands can be assured as well as prevent sweating of the palms. It is specially made of breathable mesh fabric for easy airflow and flexibility.
Additionally, it comes with an integrated terrycloth on the thumb side of the gloves that can be used to wipe off sweat from the face during workout sessions or during rowing.
- Economical cost.
- Extremely comfortable and elastic.
- Made of anti-slip and Breathable material.
- Added ERGO-Foam padding increases comfort and support.
- Comes with integrated terry cloth sweat wipe.
- Fingerless design allows maximum air ventilation.
- It can be machine washed.
- It is sturdy and comes with reinforced double stitched fabric to make it long-lasting.
- Some customers reported that the quality of the gloves is not consistent, as the quality is becoming poor day by day.
2. NH Weight-Lifting CrossFit Workout Fitness Gloves
NH Weight-Lifting Crossfit Workout Fitness Gloves | Callus-Guard Gym Barehand Grips | Support Cross-Training, Rowing, Power-Lifting, Pull Up for Men & Women (Black, Small)
These gloves are designed such that they are suitable for multi-purposes including heavy-duty weight training, powerlifting, Olympic weightlifting as well as rowing. They are made with silicone rubber beading on the palm side of the glove that makes it easier to grip firmly the gym equipment and oars.
Additionally, the gloves are cushioned and have a padding layer that ensures your comfort while wearing it, as well as support during weight lifting and warmth during rowing in cold weather.
The open hand design allows airflow and avoids palm-sweating, which otherwise may lead to blister formation.
- Very economical in price.
- Fingerless open-hand design makes it easy to use.
- Anti-slip elastic neoprene fabric used in its making.
- Money-back guarantees available in case you don’t like the gloves.
- Extremely comfortable due to inner padding.
- Silicone patterns ensure a firm grip.
- Some customers complained that the gloves are not long-lasting as they rip off from various places after using only a few times.
3. Sculling and Rowing Gloves – Designed by Rowers, for Rowers
Sculling and Rowing Gloves - Designed by Rowers, for Rowers.
These rowing gloves are made of 80% polyester and 20% polyurethane and the grip is made of 100% silicone, which helps in a smooth holding of the oars and avoids flimsy grip. These rowing gloves are specifically designed and field-tested by experienced rowers and coaches, to ensure the best quality of the gloves.
They can be used for multi-purposes in addition to rowing, including CrossFit training, weight lifting, paddling, indoor rowing, kayaking, and other watersports too.
These gloves have been approved by all national, international, and Olympics watersports competitions which prove its best quality. They are also preferable around the world because of the silicone pattern on the gloves’ palms help in a smooth grip even when they are wet.
Additionally, it also allows the calluses formation without enduring any skin injury, so that your hands can also be tough enough to row without gloves when needed.
- Extremely comfortable and lightweight.
- It allows airflow and freedom of movement due to open back and lower finger design.
- Sturdily fabricated.
- Flexible and smooth.
- They are very thin and there is no padding, so they do not keep your hands warm when the water is cold.
- Slightly expensive as compared to other rowing glove options available in the market.
4. Hornet Watersports Rowing Gloves
Hornet Watersports Rowing Gloves Ideal for Indoor Rowing, Sculling, Kayak, SUP, Outrigger Canoe, Dragon Boat and Other Watersports (XS (Fits 6.5"-7"))
1 used from $18.39
These gloves are designed such that they are ideal for almost all watersports including kayaking, rowing, sculling, dragon boat, canoeing, etc., as well as can also be used during gym sessions for weight lifting or heavy-duty weight training.
They are made of super anti-slip and durable silicone material that will not loosen your grip, even when you are rowing on concept 2 rowing machine.
Additionally, these gloves are not designed to be gender-specific, they are totally unisex, and both men and women can use them during gym sessions or during watersports. These are half fingerless to ensure the air ventilation and avoid sweating on your palms.
- Safe to wash in the washing machine.
- Very light and easy to carry.
- protect your hands from developing blisters and calluses.
- 100% money-back guarantee.
- Comes in two colors, black (unisex) and in pink color (for women).
- Some customers claimed that the stitching comes apart after only 1 month of use.
5. Nononfish Workout Gloves
nononfish Gym Gloves for Women Grip Gloves Workout for Home Workouts Dumbbell, Power Rope,Hammer, Cross Training, Barbells
They are used for multi-purposes including indoor rowing, weight lifting, push-ups, dips, and powerlifting, etc. They are made of elastic Lycra fabric that keeps the gloves tight and in-place but not tight enough to restrict blood circulation. They are designed fingerless to keep the hands ventilated and sweat-free to prevent calluses and blisters formation and allow your hands a full range of movement.
They are patterned with silica gel on the palm side of the gloves which ensure a firm and tight grip and prevent the handles or equipment from slipping off.
Additionally, it comes with a specifically designed terry cloth on the back of the thumb side of the glove to wipe off sweat from your face during gym, sports, and watersports sessions.
- Made of anti-slip, elastic, and breathable material.
- Versatile and comfortable.
- Fit tightly in place.
- Fingertip buckle strap ensures easy take-off.
- 24-hour customer service in case of any query or issue.
- 30-days money-back guarantee.
- Best quality gloves at reasonable price.
- The gloves do not come with added padding/cushioning inside.
- Some customers claimed it to be unable to prevent blisters formation as they lack padding and are very thin.
These gloves are ideal for using during almost all watersports including rowing, boating, sailing, canoe paddling, kayaking as well as fishing too. They are made of neoprene and two-coloredAmara leather that does not absorb or retain water and dries quickly which makes it ideal to use during watersports as it does not loosen the grip on the handles or oars even when wet.
The fabric is elastic that stretches at the back to make it fit perfectly on the hand to ensure comfort, flexibility, and easy movement. It is fabricated as a three-finger design, which covers the last three fingers completely while leaving the first finger and thumb open and ventilated.
- Made of elastic yet durable fabric.
- Comfortable and stretchable which makes it flexible.
- Inside facing wrist closure that avoids the accidental watch startup.
- Anti-slip and water-resistant properties of its fabrication.
- The leather used on the palm side of the gloves for enhanced grip.
- Costly as compared to other options available in the market.
- Fairly thicker than usual rowing gloves in the market.
Best Rowing Gloves 2020- Buying Guide
Before you decide to buy the rowing gloves for your rowing sessions, following factors are very important to consider that will eventually help you to get your hands on the best gloves out of all the options available in the market:
- The Fabrication Of The Rowing Gloves:
Before buying the gloves, you must be very clear why you want a pair of rowing gloves? The obvious reason is that the gloves must offer a smooth grip on the oars and the hands must not slip off the handles along with protecting them from the blister formation.
For these reasons, you must go for gloves that are made of a neoprene fabric that remains dry even in the water. Leather and neoprene, in combination with silicone patterns on the palm side, are the best materials for your rowing gloves, as they offer much firmer grip than the nylon ones. Moreover, leather gloves also avoid blister formation.
- Fitting And Size Of The Gloves:
You must assure the right size of the gloves that fit your hands perfectly so that you do not have to compromise on your comfort. The size should be appropriate enough to allow the movement of your fingers freely.
- Extra Cushioning Or Padding:
The best rowing gloves are the ones that also provide you with extra comfort along with providing support and a smoother grip. You must opt for those gloves that come with extra or added padding on the palm side of the gloves that also act as an added layer to avoid friction, that would otherwise result in blister formation. The added foam layer also keeps your hands warm during winter rowing sessions.
The best options to select from are those that offer the best quality at affordable prices. It is most sensible to buy economical rowing gloves that offer the same features as other expensive options available in the market. For this, you have to do thorough research in order to get your hands-on value for money product.
Best Rowing Gloves 2020- FAQs
Q1) How to find out the perfect size of rowing gloves for you?
Ans) You can find out your perfect fit for rowing gloves by measuring the circumference of your hand, across the widest part of your palm. Then find out which size fits you best:
[table id=35 /]
Q2) If I find my size to be on borderline between two sizes, should I size up or down?
Ans) It is recommended to size up because small-sized gloves may be insufficient to protect your hands or even make you uncomfortable. The movement of the fingers can also be restricted when you wear small-sized gloves.
Q3) Can extra padded gloves be used in summers too?
Ans) Yes, because added padding does not only protect your hands from going numb during winters, but they are also useful in providing extra comfort to your hands along with protecting them from blisters and calluses in summers.