Can I put padding made of the carpet underneath an area rug?
The short answer is that you can.
The truth is that placing an area rug on a bare floor without carpet padding can not only cause damage to the rug over time but also creates a significant risk of slipping because the backing of area rugs is typically slippery.
Because trips and falls that are caused by carpets and rugs are very common, many experts believe that installing carpet padding (also known as a rug pad) as soon as possible is a good way to keep your home safe. Carpet padding can also be used under area rugs.
When it comes to placing area rugs on top of rug pads, the Mohawk Home Dual Surface Felt and Latex Non-Slip Rug Pad are one of the best options available.
The textured pattern on the rubber backing of this rug pad gives it the ability to grip the surface it is placed on, thereby preventing it from sliding around.
The rug pad is also extremely thick, and as a result, walking on the area rug has the sensation of walking on something very plush and comfortable.
Additionally, and most importantly, the Mohawk Home Dual Surface Non-Slip Pad helps to protect the floor beneath your area rug while also extending the life of your rug.
Because of this, I have compiled a list of ten additional arguments to support the contention that the Mohawk Home Non-Slip Rug Pad is an appropriate choice for your area rug.
Is it Possible to Place an Area Rug on the Top of Carpet Padding?
The Mohawk Home Dual Surface Rug Pad is Essential for These 10 Reasons, Listed Below
- The rug pad helps prevent slipping by keeping the area rug flat and in one place; it won’t curl on the edges like it would without the rug pad.
- It helps to preserve the life of your area rug by preventing wear and tear caused by foot traffic by absorbing all of the impacts. Simply put, it performs the function of a shock absorber, relieving the strain that would otherwise be placed on the rug fibers.
- It contributes to the protection of the floor beneath it. The rough backing of area rugs and other types of hard floor surfaces can scratch hardwood floors and other types of hard floor surfaces, which is one of the most common reasons why most homeowners choose to install rug pads.
Scratches are a common occurrence whenever the area rug is moved as a direct result of the heavy foot traffic. The primary purpose of a rug pad is to create a barrier of protection between your floors and area rugs.
- It aids in the prevention of discoloration and staining of the floor that is underneath it. A rug pad will protect your floors from scratches caused by the area rug’s rough backing, as well as from discoloration and staining caused by the chemicals found in the area rug backing reacting with the surface finishes on your floors.
This protection is in addition to the fact that a rug pad will protect your floors from scratches caused by the area rug’s rough backing. The backings of most area rugs are made of rubber, which is a material that is known to cause wood floors and other hard floor surfaces to become discolored over time. Your floors will benefit from having a rug pad because it will protect them from damage caused by color transfer from the rug to the floor.
- It gives your feet the sensation of being wrapped in plush fabric. The Mohawk Non-Slip Rug pad has a thickness of one-quarter of an inch and is a very dense construction. This rug pad has such a thickness and density that it creates a thick cushion that has a bouncy and comfortable feel to it. Your household pets and children will have a great time running around and playing on the area rug.
- This rug pad is completely risk-free for use around children and animals because it is free of any potentially hazardous chemicals. The top is made of felt, which does not contain any potentially harmful chemicals, and the bottom is made of latex, which is also not known to contain any potentially dangerous substances.
- It is compatible with the use of all different kinds of area rugs
- It is simple to cut with scissors to conform to the specific dimensions and contours of your area rug.
- In addition to this, it can be purchased in the shape of an oval or around for use in area rugs.
- Your hardwood floors and other hard floor surfaces will not become discolored as a result of using them.
- Since it does not have any adhesives on the backing, it will not leave any trace behind on the floor after it is removed.
- It helps prevent damage to your floors, such as scratches, scuffs, punctures, and indentations caused by furniture.
- It prevents the bunching and curling that can occur with your area rug.
- It is constructed to last and will not experience any wear and tear as long as it is placed beneath the area rug.
- The cost is reasonable for what you get.
Where Can I Get an Affordable Version of the Mohawk Non-Slip Rug Pad?
It is highly recommended that you buy this rug pad directly on Amazon because it is significantly less expensive there. I am aware that other online retailers sell it as well; however, their prices are significantly higher than those found on Amazon.
In addition, it may be difficult to locate locally.
In addition, you won’t have to be concerned about purchasing an imitation product. When you buy something from a seller on Amazon, you can rest assured that they are legitimate and trustworthy.
Since it is one of Amazon’s best-selling rug pads, you will also have the opportunity to read the positive feedback left by other customers who have purchased the product and used it.
You can check the current price that Amazon is charging for it by clicking here.
Questions That Are Typically Asked (FAQs)
1. When Placing an Area Rug on Hardwood Floors, Is It Necessary to Use a Rug Pad?
Yes, without a doubt.
Between your area rug and your hardwood floors should be a protective barrier in the form of a rug pad.
If you have hardwood floors in your home, which are inherently slippery, and an area rug in your home that has a rubber backing, your home becomes a slip and fall hazard.
Because of this, you must put down a non-slip rug pad of high quality.
If you have hardwood floors, placing your area rug on a rug pad will make the rug more plush and comfortable for your feet.
A rug pad will not only give your rug a plush feel, but it will also help insulate your rug against noise and the cold.
And finally, the most important thing you can do to preserve the life of your area rug and protect the hardwood floors underneath it is to have a rug pad professionally installed.
On the other hand, if you have hardwood floors, a rug pad is an absolute necessity underneath your area rug.
2. Is It Necessary to Place a Pad Below an Oriental Rug?
An oriental rug, just like any other kind of rug, requires some stable support underneath it to lessen the likelihood of it becoming brittle at the base and stretching out over time.
A rug pad can help reduce the risk of slipping, which is especially important with oriental rugs.
If you are placing your oriental rug over an uneven surface, such as a hardwood floor with sharp edges or even a tile floor, you may also require a rug pad underneath the rug. This is because uneven surfaces can cause the rug to shift and become damaged.
Your oriental rug would benefit greatly from having a pad such as the Mohawk Home Non-Slip Rug pad.
3. Installing Carpet Padding Under an Area Rug: What Are the Steps?
Putting carpet padding underneath an area rug is a fairly straightforward process.
Your rug pad will arrive rolled up in its packaging. Unrolling it on the floor and then smoothing out any bumps on the surface is all that is required.
After that, unroll your area rug onto the rug pad and secure it in place.
The rug pad ought to be cut to a size that is marginally smaller than the area rug. If it is too large for its intended purpose, you can easily trim it down to size with a pair of scissors.
Is Carpet Padding Suitable for Use Under an Area Rug?
– Bottom Line
When it comes to lowering the risk of falling while you are on your property, investing in carpet padding and rug pads are very important.
To say nothing of the protection it offers to your hard floor surfaces, a rug pad does an excellent job of extending the useful life of your rugs as well.
Because of these and other considerations, installing an area rug on top of carpet padding, such as the Mohawk Home Non-Slip Rug Pad, comes highly recommended by yours truly.