Hardwood floors are damaged by rug pads?
There has always been a concern among homeowners regarding whether rug pads may damage their hardwood floors.
Answering your question, not all rug pads will damage your hardwood floors.
The right rug pad can prevent an area rug from slipping on hardwood floors, but the incorrect installation can easily stain or discolor your floors. Some of these floor pads may dull your hardwood floors as well.
Is it possible to damage hardwood floors with rug pads?
Which rug pads should not be used on hardwood floors?
Well, the only rug pads that stain, discolor and dull your beautiful hardwood floors are those that possess a rubber, latex, or PVC backing.
You should avoid them at all costs.
The chemicals used in the manufacture of these rug pads commonly react negatively with the finishes on hardwood floors. These reactions can lead to permanent discoloration of these floors.
Plastic rug pads may also contain toxic chemicals that can cause your floors to become stained. The adhesive on some of these grips causes them to stick to the floor rather than grip it. In addition to damaging your hardwood floors, this adhesive can leave a sticky residue that may be difficult to remove.
Thus, it is highly recommended that you avoid using such rug pads and only use those that do not contain rubber, latex, PVC, adhesives, or other toxic materials.
Can hardwood floors be protected with a rug pad?
It has been stated above that rug pads containing rubber, latex, PVC, adhesives, and other toxic materials may be dangerous to wooden floors.
Rug pads made from 100% felt should be the only ones you use.
I am referring to a felt rug pad of high quality, such as the RUGPADUSA 100% Felt – Protective Cushioning Rug Pad.
The RUGPADUSA 100% Felt Protective Cushioning Rug Pad is recommended for its superior protection against scratches.
- Our rug pad is made of 100% recycled felt and does not contain rubber backing or other materials that could damage your hardwood floors
- It is a suitable choice for rugs with rubber or PVC backing, as rugs with such backings can stain floors, just as rug pads with similar materials can. This felt rug pad is an excellent solution for protecting hardwood floors from stains caused by area rugs
- It protects your hardwood floors against damage, especially in areas where high traffic is prevalent. The area rug and hardwood floor are subjected to a great deal of friction due to the foot traffic and furniture, causing abrasion, wear, and tear. A thick rug pad, when positioned underneath an area rug, offers a protective cushioning that absorbs all the shock and impact from foot traffic, thus extending the lifespan of your hardwood floors.
- Furthermore, providing a thick, bouncy cushion, prolongs the life of your area rug. If you install a rug pad under your area rug, it will last much longer than one that is not
- This is quite a heavy and dense rug pad in comparison to most on the market. As such, it is a great choice if you are seeking enhanced cushioning for a more luxurious experience
- There are several different sizes available for this rug. Simply choose the size that is most appropriate for your rug. Be sure to measure your area rug before making your purchase. By doing so, you will be able to choose the rug pad that best suits your needs. There is a general rule of thumb that the rug pad should be slightly smaller than the area rug, typically 1 inch smaller. In this manner, the rug can develop a tapered edge, preventing curling
- It is possible to trim the rug pad to the desired size. The rug pad can always be trimmed to a size that would be suitable for your area rug if you purchase a larger one
- It is manufactured in the United States
The RUGPADUSA Rug Pad You May Not Like
- Especially in high traffic areas, it will not prevent the rug from slipping. Because of this, it is specifically designed to accommodate large rugs which can be anchored by furniture. As well as this, it is designed to accommodate rugs that are heavy and stay in place. A felt and rubber combination might just work if you are looking for a non-slip rug pad. For instance, the Mohawk Rug Pad Central Felt Rubber All Surface Non-Slip Rug Pad is a good example.
Hardwood Floor Rug Pads
Here is a useful guide to finding the best rug pad for hardwood floors.
If you have hardwood floors, the RUGPAD USA 100% Felt Rug Pad is a good choice.
This material does not contain any substance that can stain or discolor your floors, making it the ideal choice.
To avoid causing permanent damage to your beautiful and expensive hardwood floors, avoid rug pads that are made from rubber, latex, or PVC.
Hardwood floors are damaged by rug pads? —— Conclusion
Don’t ruin your hardwood floors by installing a rug pad made from toxic substances.
The cost of hardwood flooring is among the highest. Hardwood flooring requires extensive maintenance and care. Because of this, you must avoid rubber or PVC backing for rug pads at all costs.
It is hoped that you now understand which rug pads are suitable for hardwood floors and which are not.