Now that we’ve shown you how PayPal works, given you some safety tips, explained its pros and cons, and talked about how it works, it’s time to wrap it up! Now let’s get started!
You will need to create a PayPal account before you can use the service.
You will learn everything you need to know to make that happen in this lesson.
Sign up for PayPal here:
- Visit www.paypal.com and click Sign Up.
- Choose Sign Up for a Personal Account.
- Enter your username, password, and country.
- Add your other personal details.
- Connect your credit card to PayPal (optional).
- You can also link your bank account to PayPal.
- Confirm your email address with PayPal.
It’s a long way to go, right? Well, PayPal handles money, so it needs to make sure everyone who uses it is legit. Let’s take a step-by-step look at how it works.
Instructions on how to create a PayPal account
1. Sign up for PayPal.
You can register at Paypal by visiting www.paypal.com and clicking the Sign Up button in the top-right corner.
2. Create a PayPal personal account.
It’s assumed that you’ll be using PayPal to make purchases (on and off the web) and send money to others, rather than to accept payments from people you sell stuff to. Click Create a Personal Account.
3. Enter your email address, your password (and a copy), and your home country.
The next step is to enter your basic account information.
You can select or enter each of the following in the boxes highlighted here:
- Your country of residence
- e-mail address
- a password for your account
- copy of your password
Click Continue when you’re done.
4. Enter your other personal information.
The second step will require that you fill out your personal details so that PayPal will be able to link your account with your credit card, debit card, or bank account.
Click each box highlighted here and select or type in, respectively:
- First name
- Middle name (optional)
- Last name
- Birth date (in numeric format)
- Your occupation
- Social security number (optional)
- Street address
- of your unit (optional)
- Zip code of your area
- City in which you reside
- Your state, province, or territory
- Choose Mobile or Home number from the menu beside it.
If you don’t want to get emails about PayPal’s products, click here to unmark it.
After all the information has been filled in correctly, click Agree and Create Account.
5. You can add your credit card to PayPal.
To proceed, you need to link your credit card or debit card to your PayPal account. You can use PayPal to make purchases both online and offline, and have the purchase automatically charged to your credit card.
In each of the highlighted boxes, type in:
- Credit card number
- Credit card expiration date (number of month/year [last two digits of year])
- Credit card security code
PayPal will assume your credit card billing address is the same as the one you put in before. If it’s not, just click Edit and type in the right street address, unit address (optional), postal code, city, and state/province/territory.
When you’ve finished filling out your information, click Link Card.
Click I’d Rather Link My Bank Account First if you do not have or do not wish to add a credit card as a payment option. Please refer to our How to Use PayPal without a Credit Card tutorial for more details.
6. Add your bank account to PayPal.
You may also link your bank account(s) to your PayPal account once you have linked your credit card to PayPal.
You may also choose not to link your bank account(s) to PayPal (at least not right now) by clicking I’ll Link My Bank Account Later (be sure to click the confirmation button that appears after this).
7. Confirm your email address.
You still have to verify your email address to finish setting up your account. You can’t use PayPal without it! To verify your email address, open up your email client and log in.
Identify the email sent by PayPal Service titled “Welcome to PayPal” and click on it to open it. Simply click on the blue Yes, This is My Email Address link in the email.
You’ll need to enter your password for your PayPal account to confirm your email address. You’ll need to type in your password in the box labelled “Password.”. Click Confirm My Email.
It’s done! You’re ready to use PayPal now that your account is setup! The next lesson will teach you how to deposit money into your PayPal account.