Those who utilize an Apple device have various alternatives for making their workflow more clear and efficient (iPhone, Apple Watch, or Mac). Did you know that if you know how to unlock your Mac with an Apple watch, you can avoid typing your Mac’s password or using Touch ID? Yes, your Apple Watch can be used to unlock your Mac computer using “Auto Unlock” technology. As a result, you won’t have to enter a password. When you wear your wearable gadget close to your computer, you will be instantly logged in.
The Apple Watch can also be used to authorise various types of password requests using the macOS Auto Unlock feature.
What are the benefits of enabling the auto-unlock feature?
Auto Open will unlock a Mac computer without requiring a password if you are wearing an Apple Watch and within range of one. Your Mac computer will be able to detect the unlocking of your Apple Watch.
After that, it logs you into your computer automatically. To use your Mac, you don’t need to enter your password or utilise Touch ID if you have a MacBook Pro with a Touch Bar.
Make your Mac more safe by utilising the Apple Watch’s security features. You can set it to go into sleep mode in a shorter amount of time and to demand a password immediately, depending on your preferences. You won’t have to type in a password every time you log in.
What do you need on hand when using your Apple Watch to unlock a Mac?
Before turning on Auto Unlock, make sure your watch and Mac are both compatible and up to current. It’s easy to use Auto Unlock. Check to see if your gadgets meet these specifications.
- You have an Apple Watch with watchOS 3+ installed.
- Your Mac is running macOS Sierra or later. If you have an Apple Watch Series 3 or newer, macOS High Sierra or newer is installed.
- Your Mac and Apple Watch must both have the necessary software installed.
- For everyone of them, iCloud accounts have been created.
- A passcode protects both of them.
- You’ll also need to make sure that two-factor authentication is setup on your iCloud account.
Step-by-step instructions for using an Apple Watch to unlock a Mac.
Simply follow the procedures indicated below to complete the procedure.
- After logging in to your Mac, open the System Preferences pane. Select the Apple logo in the upper-left corner of your screen to open System Preferences. You may also use pins to secure it to your dock.
2.Select Security & Privacy from the drop-down menu.
3.After you’ve unlocked your apple Watch and put it on your wrist, check the box next to “Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac.” When prompted, enter your Mac’s password.
Your Mac will now wake up and unlock without asking you to enter your password, thanks to the Apple Watch.
What should you do if you can’t use your Apple watch to unlock your Mac?
Unlocking a Mac with an Apple Watch is simple, as you may already know. If you are unable to access the functionality, however, you can try the following fixes:
1. Turn off the auto-login option.
If your Mac has auto-login enabled, make sure to turn it off. This is how you go about doing it:
- Users & Groups must be selected from the System Preferences menu.
- You’ll be requested to enter your administrator password after clicking the lock symbol.
- By clicking Login Options in the sidebar, select Off from the Automatic Login option.
2. The radio must be reprogrammed.
For Auto Unlock to work properly, both the Apple Watch and the Mac must have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on. Check to check if they’re installed on your devices, and if not, enable them.
If the problem remains despite having Bluetooth and Wi-Fi enabled on your smartphone, the radios may need to be reset. Click the respective icons in the toolbar to turn off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. Tap on them again after a short period of time to activate them.
3. Turn off the option that allows you to share your screen.
It’s also conceivable that the Auto Unlock with Apple Watch feature isn’t working properly because of screen sharing. What you must do is really straightforward:
- Click the Screen Sharing button in the Apple menu, System Preferences, Sharing, and Screen Sharing. Check to see if the option has been turned off.
4. Make sure your Mac and Apple Watch are up to date
Even if you’ve done everything, your Mac’s and Apple Watch’s auto-unlock functions may not work properly. If the problem is caused by a software flaw, an upgraded software version may be able to solve it. Follow the steps below to get started:
When using a Mac,
Select “Software Update” from the System Preferences drop-down menu as the first step. After that, see whether there is a newer version of macOS available for download and installation.
When using the Apple Watch
Go to the Settings app and select General > Software Update to get the latest version of watchOS. You may also update your watch on your iPhone by navigating to the Watch app and selecting General > Software Update.
Finally, use your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac.
So there you have it: a quick and simple way to unlock your Mac using your Apple Watch. You’ll need to disable the passcode on your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac with it, so keep that in mind!