It is more than just a way to unlock your iPhone; it is also capable of a number of additional functions. You can use Apple Pay while logged into apps to make purchases in the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBook’s Store. Once Face ID has been set up on your iPhone, you can use it for a variety of purposes.
You will learn how to use the Face ID feature to access applications on the iPhone and iPad Pro in this article. Until now, you’ve had to use Touch ID to log into apps but now you can use face recognition to do it. Face ID is much more convenient than typing in a code for iPhone users.
iPad and iPhone models that support Face ID
The following devices are compatible with Face ID:
- iPhone X and iPhone X Plus
- Apple’s iPad Pro (12.9-inch display) (3rd generation and higher).
- The iPad Pro (11.9-inch screen) (all models).
How to set up Face ID on the iPhone
Face ID functions with apps only after you have enabled it on your device and have stored your facial data.
Use these steps to set up Face ID on your iPad and iPhone:
1. Go to the Settings app on your iPad or iPhone.
2. Choose Face ID & Passcode from the drop-down menu.
3. Then, enter your passcode if prompted.
4. Click “Set Up Face ID.”
5. Read the short tutorial and click “Get Started.”
6. Next, place your face within the frame.
7. Complete the circle slowly by moving your head slowly.
8. Please select Partial Circle from the Accessibility Options if you are unable to move your head.
9. Click Continue.
10. Slowly move your head to complete the second and final scan. Click the Done button.
Face ID is now installed on your device. Now that you’ve set up Face ID, learn how to authenticate applications with it in the next section.
Note: When you configure your Face ID for the first time, be sure to enable Password Autofill so that Face ID can authenticate third-party apps and websites.
How do I use Face ID with password-protected iOS apps?
You may be prompted to sign in to password-protected applications via Face ID for the first time after authenticating the application with your password and username. You will then be asked to set up and authorize the use of Face ID once you have logged in using your password and username.
They will use your Face ID to verify future sign-in attempts. You will not be required to enter passwords and usernames again. Face ID is the technology used by most financial applications.
If you are using an app that supports this feature, it will typically follow the following steps:
- Open the app.
- Sign in with your username and password.
- If your app supports Face ID, you’ll be asked to do so as well. Let it happen.
- You must tap OK each time you see a pop-up asking for Face ID permission.
- It’s as simple as following the instructions on the screen.
Use Face ID to access password-protected websites
Face ID is a built-in feature in Safari that allows you to sign into web-based applications. If you wish to begin using this feature in Safari, you must first enable Password Autofill when configuring Face ID.
Follow these steps to enable Face ID for any website that requires authentication in Safari::
- Start Safari on your iPhone or iPad.
- Go to the login screen for the website you want to access.
- Enter your email address or password and username.
- When prompted, enter your password. Then, follow the instructions. If you want to save your password, select “Save Password.”
- Now you can log out.
- Next time you wish to log in, simply tap the blue “Use [credential]” icon at the bottom of the login screen. Your Face ID will then be used to sign into the web app via Safari.
What is the procedure for installing Google Chrome?
Do you want to use Google Chrome or another browser to do the same thing? You don’t have to worry about that. It’s easy to enter your login credentials in other browsers once they’ve been saved in Safari, as described above. Whenever you visit the website in Chrome, you’ll be asked to pre-fill login fields after saving your password.
To do this,
- Chrome should open and you should visit the website where you wish to sign in.
- Click on the sign up field.
- Tap the Passwords keypad row at the top to activate the face scanner.
- To automatically fill out form fields with the stored credentials, select the website URL from the drop-down menu.
- Sign in now.
How do you add an app to your iPhone or iPad Pro to use Face ID?
Imagine that an app does not allow you to log in or unlock with Face ID, and you are confident that you have authorized it to do so. In this case, you may enable it through the device settingsFor an iPhone or iPad Pro:ro:
- Open the Settings app.
- Select Face ID and Passcode.
- Type your Apple passcode.
- Select other apps.
- Click on the app in which you want to use Face ID to log in.
You may only use this option if an app has previously asked you to sign in or unlock using Face ID. If you have previously given permission to an app, you will not see the Other Apps option.
Turn on Face ID in the settings of third-party apps
If you go to their settings and enable it, you can have third-party apps unlock your phone with your Face ID as well.
For example, in the LinkedIn application,
- tap on your profile at the top-right corner.
- Select Settings.
- Click “sign in & security.”
- Scroll down a bit and click “app lock.”
- Turn it on.
- You can choose from a drop-down menu under How fast should LinkedIn lock? your desired time limit.
- If the app asks for permission to use face ID, choose OK.
It is important to keep in mind that the method described above does not work with every third-party application. Different procedures apply to different types of applications.
Consequently, we suggest that you play with the app’s settings in order to log in using Face ID. Additionally, looking at an app’s security settings in its settings may provide insight into whether or not it supports Face ID.
Apps that prompt you to use Face ID immediately
You are able to sign in to some applications immediately using your Face ID, whereas others require you to wait. When you first use them, you do not need to sign in with your login and password.
This option syncs your Apple ID with your apps and then authenticates them using your Face ID.
You can use Face ID to authenticate apps on your iPhone or iPad. Face ID is available by default in some apps, but not others. Some apps do not support Face ID at all.
To avoid misunderstandings, double-check the app’s support for Face ID before you try to use it with an app.