Apple products are often exclusively designed to be used with other Apple products. This is not the case with Apple AirPods. Apple’s AirPods became one of the most popular earbuds when they were released in December 2016.
There have been two generations and they have also introduced the Pro series. If, however, you switched from an iPhone to an Android-powered handset, what would happen?
Will you have to discard your AirPods? Can they be used only with a tablet? Is it possible to use an Apple product on a Samsung device?
Can Apple AirPods be used with Samsung?
Apple AirPods are compatible with Samsung products of all generations and models. Bluetooth is the standard method of connecting AirPods to Samsung devices powered by Android, so connecting them to any other device is simple.
AirPods, however, have a stronger connection with other Apple products than with Samsung products.
Despite how surprising it may sound, your Apple AirPods can be paired with your Samsung phone or tablet.
With an iOS device, you can expect good connectivity, but with an Android device, you will likely experience weaker connections.
Which Apple AirPods can be paired with your Samsung – or any other Android – device?
What are the reasons for the poor connectivity? Are there any other disadvantages to using Apple AirPods with a Samsung device? Find out more by continuing to read.
Is it possible to connect my Apple AirPods to my Samsung phone or another Android device?
You can connect your Apple AirPods with your Samsung phone or another Android device, but some conditions must be met.
Their Bluetooth connectivity allows them to sync up with other Bluetooth devices.
The two devices should be able to be connected if your Samsung device supports Bluetooth (which it probably does).
The AirPods Pro from Apple is also compatible with Android devices due to its Bluetooth capabilities.
How to connect AirPods to an Android device
Syncing your Apple AirPods with any other Bluetooth-enabled device is extremely simple.
The following simple steps will help you achieve success on your first attempt:
- Go to Settings > Connected devices > Pair a new device on your Samsung (or another Android device). This will pair your phone or tablet.
- Carefully place your AirPods into their charging case, leaving it open.
- You will need to hold down the small button on the back of the AirPods case for a few seconds. If you own a certain model of phone, a flashing light may appear on the front or inside of the case.
- You should see an entry for the AirPods in your Bluetooth pairing menu on your cell phone. Your Samsung and AirPods will be connected as soon as you tap it. You are done!
When you pair your AirPods with your smartphone, they pair almost instantly. Pairing your AirPods with a computer is a little more difficult and involves different steps.
Is there a downside to using AirPods with an Android phone?
The AirPods will not work with an Android device since, technically speaking, they are not designed for use outside of Apple products.
There is indeed a downside in that you lost some functionality, which I will discuss shortly.
Those of you who already own AirPods and have been using them with an iPhone or iPad know how easy it is to pair them (because they come with a chip inside them). You simply open the case, place the headphones side-by-side, and tap “connect“.
It is not rocket science to pair a Samsung phone to your iPhone, but it requires a few more steps. Since there is no automatic pairing, you will have to accomplish them manually as well.
Which AirPod features won’t work on an Android device?
When I pair my AirPods to my Android device, the following features will not work: Some AirPod features absolutely will not work.
They’re also some of the better and more useful features.
What you won’t be able to enjoy:
- Quick and easy way to check battery life: You can ask Siri about the battery life of your device by connecting your devices. You can also check the battery life manually. Generally speaking, most Android devices will display the battery life of an associated Bluetooth device, however, this does not display the battery life of the charging case or whether your AirPod buds are at various levels.
- Access to Siri: You do not have Siri access since you’re using a Samsung.
- Ear detection: The paired Apple device will detect when you remove the AirPods when you use them with your AirPods. This enables the device to pause your music. On non-Apple devices, this functionality is not available.
- Double-tapping customization: You can quickly switch between AirPod functions by tapping twice on an iPhone. It’s a simple way to customize shortcuts like calling Siri, playing/ pausing, and skipping songs. If you have a Samsung or an Android phone, you have to just stick with double-tapping for pausing and playing.
- Note: Apple devices such as the iPad, iPhone, and Mac can be customized in this way. It can then be used on your Samsung device. It is quite challenging to do this if you do not own an Apple product.
Apps that make AirPods compatible with Android
The responsibility for improving AirPods’ compatibility with Samsung and other Android devices rests with a few clever developers.
The AirBattery application is one of the most popular because: a.) it is free and b.) it checks the battery levels of the AirPod headphones and charging case individually.
It can be viewed by opening the app at any time, otherwise, it will appear once your AirPods are connected.
When using Spotify (but not on any other listening application) AirBattery provides in-ear detection as well.
You can purchase the Pro version for an additional $1, which will display a self-updating notification that displays your AirPods’ current battery level.
You may also use Assistant Trigger. Dual-tapping is available for accessing Google Assistant as well as in-ear detection.
The Best Android Alternatives to AirPods
There are alternative earphones to AirPods available, of course.
These Jabra Elite Active 75t headsets are IP57-rated for water resistance and have active noise cancellation.
These devices are also compatible with Siri, Amazon Alexa, and Google Assistant.
There is also the Bose QuietComfort Noise Cancelling Earbuds that come in a case that (although bulky) supports Qi Wireless charging.
There are also 11 different levels of active noise cancellation.
As a result of transparency mode, active noise cancellation can be interrupted rapidly as required.
Samsung devices are compatible with Apple AirPods.
It isn’t difficult to pair the two devices, but it isn’t as simple as just opening the case and clicking the “Connect” button.
It should be noted that AirPods are designed to work with Apple devices only, so pairing them with a Samsung device may not provide the same level of performance.
It is still possible to pair mismatched devices if you find yourself in a bind.
It is possible to use apps to enhance the pairing process, but you might also be interested in obtaining Bluetooth earbuds that pair more strongly with a Samsung smartphone.