Can hardwood floors be protected with a rug pad?
You have likely asked this question because you had a rug pad underneath your area, which left yellow stains on your hardwood floors.
I am aware of how frustrating this can be as I have been through a similar experience with my laminate flooring.
Which rug pad may have caused the staining issue?
I realized after so long that rubber and latex-backed rug pads may stain or discolor hardwood floors, as well as other types of flooring such as laminate floors.
High traffic areas or those that are frequently exposed to direct sunlight for prolonged periods are commonly affected.
Despite being strong and durable, hardwood floors are extremely susceptible to damage like scratches, dents, stains, and even water damage.
Please note that:
What type of rug pad is safe for hardwood floors?
The majority of rug pads available on the market have a rubber or latex backing. These are not suitable for use.
Rug pads made of 100 percent felt are the only safe ones.
Rug pads made of felt are the best for hardwood floors.
My top recommendation for a rug of this type is the RUGPADUSA Basics-5′ Square-1/2″ Thick-100% Felt-Protective Cushioning Rug Pad.
What Are the Benefits of Using the RUGPADUSA 100% FELT Protective Cushioning Rug Pad?
One of the best rug pads that can be safely used on wood floors and all other types of floors is the RUGPADUSA 100% Felt Rug Pad.
The rug pad is made from 100% recycled felt, which is made from excess carpet fibers.
It will not stain or damage the floor finishes and will not leave any residue.
The following is a list of all the things I love about the RUGPADUSA Felt Rug Pad;
- Despite not containing rubber or latex, it is perfectly safe to use on hardwood floors as it will not stain or dull the finish.
- You can protect your hardwood floors against scratches and dents from rough rugs and furniture by adding a thick buffer between the rug and the floor.
- It prolongs the life of your hardwood floors by creating a thick layer of cushioning that protects them against foot traffic wear and tear.
- The thick cushion between your hardwood floor and the rug provides luxurious comfort.
- This is a great option for those who wish to maximize the cushioning on their floors.
- In addition to being extremely sound-absorbing.
- Combined with an area rug, your house will never feel as cold as with bare hardwood floors since they have excellent insulation properties.
- There are several sizes available, so you can easily choose a pad that is suited to your area rug.
- In addition to its thickness,
- With a pair of scissors, it can be trimmed to fit your rug perfectly.
- There is no toxic thickness, in this product, nor is there any release of toxic fumes during unrolling- it’s completely safe to use.
- This rug pad is a high-quality and durable rug pad
- A reputable manufacturer in the rug pad industry makes it in the USA
- Considering how expensive hardwood floors can be to repair or replace, it’s quite affordable and a good value for money.
1. How do rug pads affect hardwood floors?
Rubber-backed rug pads are the only ones that will damage hardwood floors.
These pads often have a rubber backing to prevent slipping.
Due to the chemical reaction between rubber and hardwood floor finishes, the pad may end up leaving massive yellow stains on your hardwood floors.
I have already stated that all rug pads that are completely safe for your hardwood floors are those that are constructed of 100% felt material.
A felt rug pad such as the RUGPADUSA Felt Protective Cushioning Pad is safe and will not damage your hardwood flooring.
2. Can latex rug pads be used on hardwood floors?
Latex rug pads are also unsuitable for hardwood floors, as they have a rubber backing.
There is a problem with latex in that it prevents airflow, causing moisture to accumulate beneath it.
Wood floors and moisture are incompatible due to the deterioration of the wood and the removal of the floor finish.
The other major problem with latex rug pads is that the plasticizers in the latex coating can bleed into your hardwood floors, thereby causing a chemical reaction that may discolor them.
You should avoid rug pads that contain latex as well. Rug pads made of felt are the safest to place under your area rug on hardwood floors.
3. Should Rug Pads Be the Same Size as the Rugs?
Not at all. Rug pads should not be the same size as area rugs.
The rug pad should be at least one inch smaller than the area rug.
If a shoe catches the edge of the rug, the edges will taper to the floor, preventing tripping hazards.
Which rug pad is safe for hardwood floors?
One of the best and safest rug pads for area rugs on hardwood floors is the RUGPADUSA Protective Cushioning Rug Pad.
Rubber or latex-backed rug pad should never be purchased.