What should be placed under a gun safe on a hardwood floor?
My wife expressed concern that the weight of my new rifle gun safe would damage the hardwood flooring in our home, so I asked myself this question.
The answer is yes.
Our gun safe was placed on a surface that was already scratched and dented within a few months.
That was when I realized I needed to find an immediate solution to their heavyweight. Gun safes can cause considerable damage to hardwood floors when placed directly on them. Upon doing some research, I discovered that a lot of gun safe owners recommend placing a rubber mat or plywood under the safe.
Because it did not have scratches or dents, it was the best decision I could have made.
My research led me to the XMark Fitness XMat Ultra Thick Equipment Mat. The rubber gym flooring mats I recommend are made from vulcanized rubber, which makes them extremely durable and strong. I recommend the IncStores Premium 4ft x 6ft Rubber Gym Flooring Mats with Vulcanised Rubber Flooring Equipment Mats.
This particular rubber mat contains only recycled rubber, as opposed to most rubber mats.
The result is enhanced durability, flexibility, resilience, stability, and, most importantly, moisture, mold, and mildew resistance.
In the following article, I will list all the reasons for putting this mat under your gun safe on hardwood floors.
What to put under a gun safe on hardwood floors?
How Do I Recommend the XMark Fitness XMat Ultra Thick Equipment Mat?
- It provides a protective cushion between your heavy gun safe and hardwood floors because it’s super thick, so no dents or scratches will be introduced to the hardwood.
- This is a heavy mat that won’t slide or slip when in use
- The mat is very dense and durable, accommodating even the heaviest gun safes
- The gun safe will not rust due to its inability to store moisture
- It’s a versatile multipurpose mat that can also be used as a gym mat, exercise mat, garage mat, etc.
- The gun safe is made of tough rubber that can be easily drilled so that the rear wheels can be bolted down to prevent their movement
- Hardwood floors will not be stained or discolored by it.
- This product is very durable and heavy.
- You can easily lift the gun safe off the ground using it.
- This mat will ensure that your hardwood floor can accommodate your heavy gun safe comfortably
- This mat allows the heavy gun safe to be placed easily on the second floor without having to worry about it falling through the floor (this rarely happens)
- It is reasonably priced as well as a durable product that will provide great value for money.
How much does this gun safe mat cost and where can it be purchased?
I would consider this mat to be reasonably priced, given its sturdy and durable rubber construction.
The mat is made from recycled rubber and is heavy, sturdy, and long-lasting.
Amazon has a good deal on mine.
Can a gun safe be too heavy for my hardwood floor?
You need a heavy and durable gun safe to ensure that your firearms will be well protected.
- No matter how hard burglars try, they will not be able to carry a heavy gun safely.
- This is exactly why you need a heavy gun safe.
- The question that most gun owners ask is,
- “Can I use a gun safely on my hardwood floors?”
- There is no simple answer to this question.
- Your hardwood floors can support the weight of a gun safe.
- Providing your floor is constructed by code, then your floor should be able to support the weight of the safe.
- A basic gun safe weighs between 200 and 600 pounds, whereas a mid-sized safe weighs between 600 and 1000 pounds.
- Commercial gun safes weigh between 2000 lbs and 5000 lbs, while high-end gun safes weigh over 1000 lbs.
- It is unlikely that the gun safe will fall through the floor, especially if it is on the second floor.
- It is more important for you to worry about the gun-safe scratching and creating deep dents in your hardwood floors.
- That is why I would recommend a dense and heavy-duty equipment mat like the XMark Fitness XMat Ultra Thick Equipment Mat.
Can a rubber mat stain hardwood floors?
I have been using this mat for many years and it has never stained my floors.
The carpet will not be discolored if you place it on it.
Moving a gun safe across hardwood floors will scratch them.
You will be sure to create some unsightly scratches and dents if you move a gun safe across a hardwood floor.
When moving your gun safe on hardwood floors, use a hand truck such as the Cosco Shifter 300-Pound Capacity Multi-Position Heavy Duty Folding Hand Truck and Dolly.
It not only makes it easier for you to move your heavy gun safe around the house, but it also protects your floors from scratches.
Bottom Line – What to Put Under Gun Safe on Hardwood Floor
The use of gun safes can cause irreversible damage to your hardwood floors.
Their weight can cause damage to your floors very quickly, as they are extremely heavy.
Placement of a gun safe directly on hardwood floors can cause the gun safe to rust due to moisture buildup.
You can protect your floors and the gun safe itself by using a moisture-resistant mat like the XMark Fitness XMat Ultra Thick Equipment Mat.
So you may place your gun safe directly under your hardwood floors without any concerns.